Asset Engineer (Electrification & Plant) at Network Rail

Manchester North West
Electronic and Electrical Engineering Financial Management Mechanical Engineering Transportation

9.1/10

9.7

Manages and maintains the assets associated to Electrification and Plant, and creates plans for renewals. Additionally supports enhancement schemes (e.g. North West Electrification Programme) and gives support to our renewals projects while managing a budget for the projects.

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience of working inside a company with vast opportunities. The ability to travel around the country for work purposes also adds to the enjoyment

By the end of the first week I had been quickly inducted into the team and given some responsibilities. It didn't take long until I was made to feel as part of the family.

My line manager has been very supportive throughout. If there's something I wish to do, he is happy for me to go away and do it. If ever I needed support, he was also very approachable - as were the rest of the team.

The beginning of the placement was taken as a time to learn about the discipline of the team. Very quickly I was then given responsibilities of tasks that made my days busier. While busy, it was balanced enough such that the day could still be finished on time.

Have had the opportunity to take on many responsibilities throughout the placement where I have remitted projects and taken the ownership of some reporting and team processes

I have taken away the ability to effectively take down notes in meetings of which will be most handy during group projects at university (and beyond). Also learning/recognising to speak up, as most people are willing to help out since everyone has the same end goal.

The office at Manchester was often bright and calm. A social atmosphere exists in the workplace that can add to the fun of the experience - especially when needing to take 5 minutes after/during a hard task

It was very quickly decided by my line manager that in terms of objectives for the year, I should look to follow the competencies of UK Spec. This helped to organise the placement and ensured I always had something to aim for.

From working in a new discipline (Electrification) that is not relevant to my degree, I had to learn all about the assets - what assets exist, what their purposes are, and how it all plays together with the wider rail network. Additionally, I was invested in by obtaining the PTS qualification for both AC and DC areas, and training for various company software systems.

I would be very happy to return to the organisation after completing my degree. With the large amount of varying opportunities within the company, I see that there is plenty of chance to extend both personal and professional development.

I was made to quickly feel as part of the team, and with that came team meals and occasional socialising at bars with fellow colleagues after working hours.

The cost of living within Manchester is easy to manage - never did I feel restricted for socialising. Granted, it is not the cheapest city but most things are fairly priced and will not feel ripped off.

Their are literally hundreds of clubs, bars, and pubs throughout the city - some quirky, some standard. There will be something to your taste on any night of the week.

Network Rail has endless charities it helps in. With that, there is plenty of opportunity to do something for the charities outside of your normal working routine.