Industrial Placement - Internal Communications at Network Rail

Milton Keynes South East
Advertising Business Analytics Business Intelligence Business Management Customer Service Design Information Technology Market Research Marketing Media

7.5/10

5.2

My role was to support the Senior Internal Communications Manager and the Communications Executive in their roles. This included managing the communications channel, planning events and other business as usual activities.

I really enjoyed my time at Network Rail as it is a really fast paced environment with lots of different things going on. Every day presented something new and the activities and projects I worked on were really interesting and varied.

I worked within a small team of three and couldn't have asked for a better group of people to work with. We formed a really close relationship that allowed us to work effectively and efficiently and I will definitely be staying in touch with them.

My assignment manager was awesome! She was really focused on my development and pushed me to acheive things I didn't think I was capable of. I now look up to her as a mentor and will stay in touch with her.

The role I was in whilst on placement had waves of activity. So for 3 months you would be rushed off your feet planning an event and then for a few weeks you would have a moderately paced schedule. I was never short of work and I tried to get involved in as many activities as I could.

I was given a huge amount of responsibility whilst on placement. I project managed the logistics side of an annual event that took place over three different locations on nine different days.

The skills I have learnt out on placement have been invaluable and will really help me on my return to university. Completing a placement has really changed my attitude to work and I am far more proactive that I previously was. Overall, completing a placement at Network Rail has been one of the best things I have ever done and I am sad to be leaving.

The general atmosphere of the office was great. It is such a beautiful building and is a great environment to work. The people in the office are all very friendly and you can always hear someone laughing.

The placement scheme at Network Rail is really well organised. The only problem I had with it was the recruitment process as I didn't hear back from them for a long time and then all of my interviews and assessment centres seemed to happen at very short notice.

In terms of training, I have attended any external training but there are plenty of workshops and 'lunch and learns' happening around the business that you can attend.

I would seriously consider coming back to Network Rail as there are lots of opportunities within the business. They also run a fantastic graduate scheme.

There was a really good relationship between the placements and the graduates in my department and we would socialise as much as possible, either as a whole group or with whoever was around.

Cost of living wasn't cheap but it was affordable. The social scene in Milton Keynes isn't great but there are a few bars and restaurants. The benefit of living in Milton Keynes is that it is fairly quick and cheap to get into London.

The nightlife was pretty bad in Milton Keynes.

The sports and social club had lots of activities that you could get involved in. I personally attended the snowboarding lessons.