Design Engineer in DePuy Spine Team, working on spine surgery equipment and desiging/developing sets of equipment and ongoing projects.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have had a great time on my placement, working in a close team on interesting and challenging projects that have developed my skills.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was assigned my own projects and tasks to carry out on my own and have them checked over by my team members, this made my work feel important and appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Working very closely with my supervisor I had guidance on a daily basis and could approach with any questions or queries that I had and would take my concers seriously and support me through my placement.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Having a number of on going projects and cases at once, I would come in and carry out my work on a daily basis keeping track of each case individually.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my placement I was assigned individual projects and tasks that had been sent in from surgeons all over Europe, this meant that my work had to be very specific and correct inorder to provide a good service to the customers. This made my work important and made me feel a great responsibility when carrying it out.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have developed a lot of very important skills a vast amount while spending my time on placement. Gaining first hand experience at tasks I would not have carried out during studying at university. M
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in our office was great, we had a really strong positive relationship, enjoying each others company whilst also remaining professional and efficient.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was organised well, starting off with a 3 week cross over period with the previous student who was able to understand the position I'm in and introduce me to the software and the work. I was then looked after by two engineers who assigned me regular projects and cases to carry out for the rest of the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was provided with training experiences whilst on my placement, doing things like visiting surgeries in hospitals using the equipment that I had been working on at the office.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have really enjoyed my time at DePuy Synthes and the prospects here seem very positive, I will definitely apply for positions available here after my time at university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had regular nights out with the fellow students on placement and also with the staff in our office, going out for meals and drinks on numerous occassions and also carrying out a 2 day charity walk in North Yorkshire.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home with parents and commuted to work by car, socialising cost is regular to me.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Being based very close to Leeds where there is a great night life, visiting many times with the fellow students and employees from work and having a really good time getting to know one another outside of work.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were alot of activities to carry out whilst on my placement, I played 5 a side football with the other employees weekly after work on Thursdays, also took part in a 2 day charity walk in North Yorkshire for a charity based in Beeston raising £2,500.