Dealing with any problems after the Order has been placed.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I would say my year has had many positives I have met a lot of nice people that I will more than likely stay in touch with, experienced a new place to live and have been given alot of responsibilty in my job.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I would say i have felt extremely valued. Working in a small team means you must all help eachother out. I have not felt like I am the student and am given the same jobs as others in the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Sitting in the same office as managers means support is always there, it has also been helpful working with two colleagues who have worked in the area for many years as they know everything about the role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy. There were quiet periods and crazy periods but there has never been a point in the year where I have been sat with nothing to do. This has helped days go quicker.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been given lots of responsbility. As the only full time staff in the team From the start after my training period I was left to handle afternoons on my own two days a week. I was also given my own areas to look after.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that my time management has improved greatly. To me a two hour lecture used to be enough work for one day i hope to take my 9-5 routine back to university. I also feel alot more confident over the phone this was always a weakness of mine.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Office atmosphere changes day to day. Mostly loud constant ring of phones and colleagues chatting. As managers are in and out all the time the office can be quiet when not many are in. On the other hand Sales men come into the office occasionaly and the atmosphere picks back up. Friday afternoons is usaully very quiet time in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I would say it was organised well. I has a month training period so was very prepared to start the work on my own. It is obvious from the start what you have to do. You are not told what you should be doing but given the responsibility to do it yourself. Everything is filed and you are provided with everything you need to suceed in your role.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As said above being given a month training period the company ensured I was prepared for anything that could be thrown at me, they did not rush the students into work full force we slowly learnt each step to our job.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The Graduation scheme is very appealing as you get the chance to go abroad. Through my year in placement here I have realised how many past placemnet students have returned. Im not sure I would personally return as there are very little oppurtunites to work in areas that appeal to me in later life.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As there were 16 students social life was good. Many nights out and we really took advantage of the areas around us visiting New Forest, Bournemouth and Isle Of Wight so far. Southampton is like most other citys in the shops are okay, nice restraunts cinema and bowling.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Coming from Reading I have found cost of living to be alot cheaper. Rent nearly £50 a month cheaper therefore this made an impact immediately. I am paying more in petrol to get to and from work but overall cost of living is cheaper. Nights out are also cheaper althogh as we are working they do not seem so due to the fact we are going out on weekends instead of week days on student nights.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightllife was okay. There is not an amzing nightlife but it is all you need. Nice bars and occasional big headliners in the club Switch which we have visited. Also we have been in Southampton the first year for Common people and Soundclash event that may gain in popularity as they become more wekk known. It will always be busy and there is always somewhere you can go.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As a student I played Lacrosse I have not been able to carry this on this year due to training being at awkward times and with traffic I have struggled to make it. The activites I have been involved in a more or less stuff we have had to organise as a group of students. Not much oppurtunity to be honest.