General software engineering using various languages and for different projects widely ranging across multiple technologies.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The atmosphere in the office, the kindness and helpfulness of colleagues and the involvement as part of a team were next to none. I really felt integral to the daily workings of the team and this made my overall experience great.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by every member as I was working in a small team where everything matters to get what we needed done.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At one point I felt a little out of touch as the manager is on another continent and 1:1 sessions were not ideal for interns because of how busy everyone is. Though for the first half of the year nothing could have really been better.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There were spells of extreme business where I'd be staying in until late to get something done and there would be opposite times where we had to wait for clarification before executing anything. Though the work is enjoyable the oscillations threw me off a little bit.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Each member of the team had key responsibility in making whatever we had to happen.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Undoubtedly the scale and complexity of the skills I developed will make all the difference in the years to come.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was great and easy to get along with. There's no doubt that it was a great atmosphere for productivity and enjoyment out of work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Unfortunately the kind of things that we are required to do can change very quickly and repeatedly without a strong direction so the work that we are set to do throughout our time cannot really be entirely organised. The work we do is a great learning experience and will help develop essential skills.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Aside from the odd online training exercises I could say we started in the deep end. Any other training we received wasn't relative to what we were doing or where we were based.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Overall i would definitely consider rejoining the company in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Where we were based there weren't many other interns but colleagues were interested in having a few social activities every once in a while.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living was substantial and took most of my wage every month which didn't leave me with much money to spend socializing unfortunately. Though there is a very large selection of things to do and places to socialize I had to limit myself as much as possible.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It's London. That's all I need to say.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are lots of activities available. Not so many from the company but externally there was many.