Information ystems Engineer at Intel Corporation

Computer Science Information Technology

Intel Corporation is a Top Employer

7.5/10

5.5

Developing new and support existing applications. Mostly .NET and SQL, some SSRS and SSAS. Working in a team and with end users.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. In addition to my core job role, I had the opportunity to organise events, work on volunteering projects with interns/permanent employees from other departments, run programming sessions for primary school and 6th form students. I had the chance to represent Intel at Bournemouth Careers Fair and Women in Engineering Award Ball and take part in the Cultivating Powerful Presence for Women in Technology conference. This internship enabled me to meet loads of professional people in different groups of different levels and with different experiences both at Intel and outside. I got a feeling of what the professional environment is like, moreover, I found out a lot about my skills and what I might want to do further in life.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 12 roles at Intel Corporation

Honestly, this exceeded my expectations. We were treated like adults, fully contributing employees even the first few months when we weren't contributing at all. My team mates were outspoken about my strengths and gradually gave me more and more responsibility which I think I wasn't competent enough to take on but did anyway. During wider team meetings our contributions were always called out on and it made me feel like I've contributed in some way. I did a lot of things outside my core job role and my team mates showed interest in them and treated them as part of my unique contributions. This internship definitely helped me gain more confidence.

Asking for help and collaborating was always very encouraged in our team. My team mates were very approachable and I got a lot of support with the tasks I was working on and with any personal or professional matter I inquired about.
Guidance - not so much which sometimes left me feeling lost and confused and sometimes as if I was the captain of the ship. However, I do think one of the reasons I learnt so much during my internship is because we were rarely told what exactly to do and how to do it right from the start.

It varied. There was a period we as a team didn't have much to work on but it was down to the business group we were supporting. Most of the times it was fairly busy.

I could be delusional but it did feel like we had a lot of responsibility. We inherited the ownership of applications developed by our team in the past and used by the business group, and when something went wrong we had to fix it and it was much like a discovery and self directed task. We often had to communicate with the end users and just few months in they started approaching me directly instead of going through my management. One of the projects I worked on involved me gathering some of the user requirements, designing the whole thing and then actually developing it on my own and then passing it down to end users. In another project I worked on I was identifying the things to be done, creating tasks, managing an outsourced developer and communicating everything back to the product owner. Some of the tasks I was given involved me communicating with and leveraging in the wider team. So yes, I think we were given a lot of responsibility.

I've learnt more than I thought I will and I can't imagine finishing my degree without the insight and knowledge I have now. Also, a lot of the skills I've gained are transferable to any kind of job so this internship has definitely helped me loads.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 12 roles at Intel Corporation

It was laid back, everyone was friendly and working in the team was fun.

I don't really understand this question... It didn't feel like it was organised, we came in and worked for 13 months. It felt like a job not an organised internship.

This again exceeded my expectations. Obviously there was the compulsory training at the start of our internship and we were asked what we'd like to work on etc., and later on it just became the norm, if we wanted to do something, do more of something or even try something else it just got arranged. Development and training outside core job role was encouraged too, I used it and shadowed someone in a different department, also I went to a conference with workshops to develop different skills.

I'd love to come back .

I didn't really engage with other students on placement.

It was alright.

It's horrible. Sorry, Swindon.

There's definitely a lot of volunteering opportunities in the area. I volunteered in a museum and quite soon became the Volunteer Coordinator there. It's also not far from London, Bristol, Bath and Cardiff were there are other types of opportunities.