This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
Spring Insight week introducing first year students to the industry.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was interesting to get a first hand look at an investment bank and meet other students in the same position.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone was quite encouraging and willing to talk to us about their experiences.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
They planned it so we always had something to do, though it would have been nice to spend longer work shadowing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
We didn't really have any real work to do.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
They tried hard to teach us the basics of an investment bank which was useful for someone like me who isn't studying a finance related degree- but may not be for those who are.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was an interesting experience and though they warned us during the week we would have a numerical assessment on the last day and assessment centre, we had not previously been aware of this. This could have been bad as it would mess up our chance of securing a summer internship if we were not prepared.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I secured a summer internship for the following summer ( in the same department that we had chosen for the spring insight).
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
In the evenings the company did hold a pub quiz one night but when there wasn't anything organised we would go out to dinner though we didn't really spend long enough in London to see much.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
UBS paid for our accommodation and travel.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?