I Rotated around the finance department so I changed teams every month. My main roles included, rolling forward, data, information packs, spreadsheets for the next month, creating new procedures to speed up old processes, and general Ad-hoc tasks.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've enjoyed my time on placement, but am unsure whether the industry is for me
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like a full time employee all the staff were so helpful, and wanted me to get involved in social work activities. Every employee was helpful when i had a query and people were prepared to stop what they were doing to take time to help me
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager regularly got feedback form other staff to check my progress and he made sure everything was going as planned. I also has a buddy/mentor who was there to give me supprot and advice which was very useful
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had busy times and quiet times, as my placement went on I was more confident to ask for work and people had more of an idea of how capabale I am so were more willing to give me work, and found more things for me to do
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given some responsibility to carry out tasks on mine own back.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Some of the knowledge I have gained will beuseful an university and the advancement computer skills will be handy. But the experience and skills development on placement will be best used when i graduate and find a full time job
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a great atmosphere a good balance between working hard and a bit of fun and chat in between
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
This was Zurich UK Life's first Intern scheme so there's room for improvement, but as more employees become more aware of it and the organisation gets mroe experience of running at Intern scheme it will be excellent
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company arranged a few training days for to improve my skills and subject us to corporate training which was useful, and was good for my development
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Zurich UK Life have a tough graduate recruitment, but encourgaments were given for us to come back, btu we would have to go through the processes like everyone else
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were some social meeting with the other placement students and graduates, the graduates did often invite us to meet with them which was good as again we felt like part of the company. Some placement students were more social than others
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very cheap area comapred to where I am from for living expenses, other activities, drinking, sports clubs were about avereage but cheap rent.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Little nightlife and little going on, but not far away from other cities, so socialising wasn't difficult
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Again not masses going on, but there were some activities outside of work