Year in Industry Student at Network Rail

Manchester North West
Civil Engineering

8.4/10

Whilst at Network Rail I worked with two different teams one was the Structures Route Asset Management Team who are responsible for maintaining all of the structures in the route and Works Delivery Business Plan Team who are responsible for delivering projects from £50k to £1.5million in value.

I have enjoyed the experience of working at Network Rail and the challanges involved to keep the railway running and delivering projects.

I have worked in two seperate teams whilst on placement and in both have felt a valued member of the team.

My line manager has been very supportive throughout. If there's something I wish to do, he is happy for me to go away and do it. He has also pushed me to get as many varried experinces as possible before I finish my placement.

I always have something to do and have never felt that I have ever been overloaded work.

During my placement i have been given an increasing amount of responsibility. Including taking the lead on a number of projects.

The atmosphere in the office is relaxed with a good team dynamic.

During the initial stages of my placement there were a few teething problems as I was the first placement student within the team. These where quickly ironed out and we also had a meeting with the route exec to help improve the scheme. These should hopefully be implemented before the next intake.

Whilst on placement I by obtained the PTS qualification for both AC and DC areas, which allows me to work trackside. I have also been allowed to develop by undertaking site visits and small secondments which were outside of my normal job role.

Future employment prospects are good within the organisation, with many of the previous placements returning to the company to join the grad scheme.

There is a good social scene with my colleagues with regaular nights out.

The cost of living in Manchester is very good although it's not the cheapest for a night out!

There is an endless amounts of pubs, clubs and bars to go to in Manchester.