Whilst at Network Rail I worked with two different teams one was the Structures Route Asset Management Team who are responsible for maintaining all of the structures in the route and Works Delivery Business Plan Team who are responsible for delivering projects from £50k to £1.5million in value.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed the experience of working at Network Rail and the challanges involved to keep the railway running and delivering projects.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I have worked in two seperate teams whilst on placement and in both have felt a valued member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager has been very supportive throughout. If there's something I wish to do, he is happy for me to go away and do it. He has also pushed me to get as many varried experinces as possible before I finish my placement.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always have something to do and have never felt that I have ever been overloaded work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my placement i have been given an increasing amount of responsibility. Including taking the lead on a number of projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is relaxed with a good team dynamic.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
During the initial stages of my placement there were a few teething problems as I was the first placement student within the team. These where quickly ironed out and we also had a meeting with the route exec to help improve the scheme. These should hopefully be implemented before the next intake.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Whilst on placement I by obtained the PTS qualification for both AC and DC areas, which allows me to work trackside. I have also been allowed to develop by undertaking site visits and small secondments which were outside of my normal job role.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are good within the organisation, with many of the previous placements returning to the company to join the grad scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a good social scene with my colleagues with regaular nights out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living in Manchester is very good although it's not the cheapest for a night out!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is an endless amounts of pubs, clubs and bars to go to in Manchester.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?