Intern for seven weeks in a Commercial centre in Liverpool. Using initiative to get the most out of the internship: assisting relationship managers, shadowing client meetings, completing a set research project and implementing it.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I received excellent support from colleagues and my line managers and was allowed to manage my own time and do whatever I wanted to gain the most from my internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was welcomed straight away and felt like a valuable member of the team throughout the internship.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager was always available if I had any issues to discuss and met with me weekly to discuss my progress.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was always busy enough without feeling stressed. This was mainly due to time management.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given projects to manage and tasks to develop my leadership skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The internship improved my communication and leadership skills and enhanced my kowledge of the financial services industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was generally a buzz about the office as it was a large open plan office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Commnication was good.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given training exercises to complete which enhanced my learning, and regular meetings to assess my progress ensured I was developing my skills throughout the internship. A detailed appraisal at the end also helped me take stock of what I had learnt.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, although many were based in London so meeting up wasn't always possible.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Liverpool is generally cheap to live and socialise.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?