My day to day role is mostly IT admin work which includes giving users access to shared folders, software and mailbox access. Creating new starter accounts, processing account moves, renames and transfers. The users we support are from mainly from the UK including Purina, Waters UK, Cereal Partners UK, other markets and potentially any Nestlé user worldwide. This means our area has a high number of requests coming through. I also get involved in a lot of SAP Security requests and problems relating to access and authorisations in Nestle's corporate business platform. So far the projects I have been involved in are to create a webpage for Nestle's Vista package, coordinated a new solution for password resets within factories and I am currently project managing the encryption of Nestle's laptops.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I am really enjoying my time here. I have learnt many new skills which I am devolping on a day to day basis.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel very welcome at Nestle. I don't feel at all like a placement student, I am treat like any other member of staff which I feel is very welcoming. Everyone is very friendly and approachable.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager is very approachable and supportive, we talk on a day to day basis, I have an individual catch up once a month to discuss my objectives and how I am doing and we have a team catch up bi-weekly.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The amount of work I have an a daily basis sometimes varies however I can always find something to do when it is quiet and prioritise when it is busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been given practically as much reponsibility as any other member of staff in my team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel the skills i have developed/developing both in IT and knoweledge of business will assist greatly in my studies, as it is much easier to relate something you are learning to real life experiences.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a great balance of atmosphere in our office we can be extremely busy but still find time for a laugh and a joke. I think this a very important factor in work life.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
When I arrived everything was set in place to get me doing my job. I can't fault the organisation of my work placement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
To develop my skills in areas I have perphaps been weakest in at university the company have given me the oportunities to get more knoweledge in these areas.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If the opportunity arose to work here in the future I would deffinately love to come back.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I live with 4 of the current placement student and we regularly eat luch together with a couple of other placement students. There is agreat social scene between us all.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I pay about £300 a month rent excluding bills which is very similar to elsewhere and the socialising costs are also very similar to most places.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife here is quite good maybe not as busy as the larger cities but it is still a great night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes. I go out regularly with the other placement students, we have team lunches now and then and team building oportunities. We also have a christmas party planned.