I was a penultimate year PwC Summer Intern in Assurance for 2010
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a thoroughly enjoyable, challenging and exciting experience which taught me a wealth of information about PwC and the world of Accounting in general
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All colleagues were supportive and helpful, and most challenged me to complete real work at all times towards a group goal.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management offered constant support if required as well as organising regular catch up and progress meetings throughout the experience.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I never felt too stretched and it also felt like I could ask more senior members for assistance if I did not understand something without causing them too much delay.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a great deal of responsibility, directly dealing with paying clients in a large number of different companies, as well as completing tasks which were directly used towards the completed Audit report
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am certain that the skills I learnt will be very useful in my future career with PwC as well as in life and any other firm I may work for in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A great balance of working hard and playing hard. Everyone was relaxed and able to chat whilst working. There were also great social events and team sports within the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Despite occasional hiccups (which I must add the team organising the internship were very keen to hear about so that they can be corrected), the internship was very well organising and integrated into the company's day-to-day running thus allowing me to feel part of the team yet also receive suitable guidance.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Very high levels of support, training and equipment were given to us as interns and will continue in the graduate scheme in general. There is a definite feeling that if you work hard and try your best it is possible to really climb within the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been given a job with PwC at the London Embankment Place office in October 2011.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As a group I felt we got along really well and were given plenty of opportunities to meet up. We are organising a reunion night in London soon.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cambridge is an expensive area and I lived a little way out so I was limited somewhat in this regard.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Cambridge has some really good bars and restaurants and the odd good club as well.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?