1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Have had a really good time, learnt more this year in work than I did last year in uni.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Despite having done only one year, I was given pleanty of work with the opportunity to get involved with trials too
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The scheme here in Barrow looks after you with everything from accomodation to placement oppotunities to community work
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Work is relaxed, but with deadlines to work to. We have time to make a brew and sort out charity work alongside submarines work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Within each project I got involved in I was given my own tasks to do and I was in charge of those projects. These finished in writing technical notes and reports for the MOD
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have learnt this year will be of great use over the next few years of uni. It will help me to grasp what the lecturers talk about whereas, before it would just have gone over my head.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great atmosphere. Everyone gets on well and I was welcomed into the department as soon as I started. Everyone knew my name after a few days.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Didn't really have to do much from my end of the application. Plain sailing all the way through. My placement buddy got my accomodation sorted and I started working on the first day after company induction.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
After 11 months of work, I would never of imagined the company investing so much in an Industrial Placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
With an order book into the late 2020's with plenty of different projects, I look forward to graduating and getting stuck into work with solid job security and prospects
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Being in Barrow, some people think the social scene would be boring, but it's not. The grad community is buzzing with social weekends planned every month or so, with a grad night out at least once a week
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost living is good for the moment, and the cost of socialising beats most other towns I've been to.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Can't beat it! Coming from uni in Glasgow, I wasn't looking forward to the nightlife here, but I was proved wrong and have many a good night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
An unbeleivable amount of charity and community work is done by the grads all over the Furness peninsular. It's always good fun with plenty of banter to be had.