Penultimate Year Intern at HSBC

Gloucestershire West Midlands
Banking - Commercial

HSBC is a Top Employer

7.0/10

Seven week placement over the summer in the Gloucestershire HSBC Commercial Centre. Given a business project to help the international team expand their prospect list. Also helped compile remarks (for loan applications) and sat in on meetings with clients and with other commercial centre area commercial directors. Had the chance to visit other areas of the bank including corporate banking, credit & risk and several strategic departments at head office.

My experience was very good overall. My business project was challenging but gave me a real chance to use various avenues of research and insight to have a long lasting impact on the operations of the newly developed international team. My supervisor was the area commercial director and although he was a very busy man he would always take the time to make sure I was fulfilling all my goals set by the team at head office. He also let me use several of his own contacts to be able to spend time with different areas of the bank. He encouraged his team to take me on client meetings and show me the variety of responsibilities an commercial director has.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at HSBC

This varied within the team. The international team and more senior colleagues were very enthusiastic to learn about the scheme and to give me an insight/advice. Some of the operational/administrative employees were a bit dismissive of me but I think that's due to their unfamiliarity with the scheme.

Both head office and the area director were fantastic - answering emails and regular meetings.

It depended on what I was doing - the internship was to gain a deeper understanding of commercial banking so I would often be listening and shadowing. If there was nothing for me to do I could always look at my business project.

Commercial banking requires a great deal of knowledge in order to compile the remarks and although I would often help with meeting preparation, I was given very little responsibility.

I take an accountancy module now and I am amazed at how much of it I subconsciously picked up over the time I was on my placement. The training and knowledge I have gained will be invaluable for when I continue on to their ET scheme.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at HSBC

It was quieter than in retail but still a good atmosphere.

Well organised although some of the support material was outdated.

We were paid and there were a few training opportunities. My travel expenses to other areas of the country were also picked up.

I have recently been offered a job on the executive management programm.e

It was a shame that we were spread all across the UK but when we did meet up it was great fun.

I was living at home so it was fairly reasonable as I live in a large town. Obviously this was completely dependent on where you asked to be placed.

It's my home town!

Not really! I was asked by the retail branch (my former placement) to join them in a pub quiz and I went to my boss' leaving meal after I had left.