Audit Intern at PwC

Birmingham West Midlands
Auditing/Tax

PwC is a Top Employer

8.0/10

On a daily basis I accompanied a team of PwC employees to different clients where I played different roles in the audit process. During my 6 week placement I checked financial statements, carried out a number of testing steps in the audit by obtaining information from the clients and carried out a few steps in the planning of an audit. During my time at PwC I was able to work on 3 different clients and gain experience in a range of different stages of the audit process.

I personally found that audit work didn't particularly interest me, however despite this I still really enjoyed the internship because the work I was doing was kept very varied and there was a lot of opportunities to try different things.

I felt that the staff were very good at including me and making me and my work feel valued despite only being an intern. It felt like people treated me as a normal member of staff in terms of the responsibility I was trusted with rather than as just an intern and there was a wide support network provided.

There was a lot of support available from different levels in the firm. As an intern I was assigned a 'People Manager' who I met with a few times during the internship to discuss my progress and a 'Buddy' who was a first year at the company who provided advice throughout the internship. Furthermore, the people in charge of all the jobs I worked on were always very helpful and provided a lot of support.

On most occasions I'd say I had about the right amount of work to do in a day. On the odd occasion I didn't have much to do but this was fairly rare and mainly due to the internship being over the quieter summer period.

I was able to complete work by myself when I felt comfortable doing so but at the same time someone would always check this work after I had done it and people were always available to ask for help. I was suprised to be given so much responsibility on my internship.

I learnt a lot about time management and developed my people skills during the internship and I think that both of these will be very useful in the future.

On the 3 teams that I worked with during my internship everyone seemed to be very upbeat, and although people seemed to have a lot to do everyone seemed very friendly and to be enjoying themselves.

The internship was well organised with training at the beginning, our jobs planned well in advance and regular feedback provided from 'in charges' on the job and from my people manager.

The company provided 5 days of training at the beginning of the internship as well as a training day in the middle of the internship.

Since my internship I have accepted an offer of a graduate job with the company following my finishing my degree/

Yes I met up with the rest of the interns in my region a number of times socially during the internship and have kept in touch with many of them.

I lived at home whilst of the internship so cost of living wasn't much of an issue and PwC paid travel expenses when working out of the office which helped. Around Birmingham the cost of socialising is genereally fairly cheap.