Actively taking part in a number of different activities that are involved in working in retail and commercial banking. Day to day activities depended on the needs of the business.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was able to gain a real insight to how the commercial bank works, and was involved in projects that were worthwhile to the business.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was made to feel welcome right from the first day and am still in contact now - I will be going to the Christmas party in December.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager was very helpful throughout the placement, easy to approach, and always asking if the work I was given was challenging enough and not boring.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had work to get on with, but never too much that I felt overwhelmed.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was responsible for a project during the placement and had to put it into action. I also helped with credit applications.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I don't feel the placement has helped my degree at all, but it gave me a greater understanding of the workplace and developed my life skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It had a good working atmosphere. There were plenty of fun times, but balanced with times when work needed to be done.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The application process was very easy. There were a few communication issues during the internship, but only minor gripes rather than major problems.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The people I worked with were very generous with their time. We had a two day induction which was useful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been offered a place on the Executive Management Scheme after I graduate. The internship confirmed to me that HSBC is the company I want to work for.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We did meet up for a couple of days near the end of the placement on an organised trip to head office. Those who were in London met up more often, but for those of us spread throughout the country we relied on these days.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Average. Very close to where I live so I did not notice any difference.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I'm not interested in nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Social events, and if I had been there at a different time of year charity fundraisers.