Executive management summer intern at HSBC

Carlisle North West
Banking - Commercial Banking - Retail Banking/Finance

HSBC is a Top Employer

5.7/10

First year: Shadowing managers in a retail branch. Learning customer needs and the processess of the banking hall. By the end of my placement I could conduct basic counselling with a customer, order new cards, set up internet banking etc. I had learnt a lot about mortgages, loans and premier banking, and the processess done in branch related to each one.

Second year: This time based in a commercial centre, learning about business banking, working with clients with a turnover of between 2million and 25 million pounds. Getting to know businesses on paper (from accounts/websites), attending client meetings and then deciding if eligible for loans.

I really enjoyed retail banking, although i do not see this as my future career. In commercial banking, it often felt like loan processing centre, with a lot of paper work, regulation and jumping through hoops. The getting to know business part was fun and interesting though.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

I felt i made a valued contribution, but still had a lot to learn. Many of my collegues had been there 30 years+.

Some better than others. Generally well guided and liked by managers.

Some days there was little for me to do, as i wasnt qualified. As such, i had to drag out my project.

Very little responsibility in commercial centre, as unqualified. Only responsibility was finishing my project.

Helped me decide which sector i want to work in, in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

I was in a small office, with people who had worked there 30 years +. As such enthusiasm was some what lacking. On a day i spent in the Manchester office, the atmosphere was much more vibrant and energetic.

Generally well organised, although placement location was only decided about 3 weeks before. For me, this meant not knowing which region of the country i was going to be living in until a few weeks before i started work. Not great for finding a flat.

We had an engagement day in London which helped with training and meeting senior managers within the bank, but no formal qualifications were given.

After my first year internship, i secured a job with HSBC on their executive management scheme.

Good social scene, although many events were focused on London- not good for me when based in Carlisle.

Organised community day in London, which we were paid for and we visited the London wetlands centre to do community work. Fun day.