I worked in Resources and Energy group. I had to create presentations for potential clients following the guidlines the seniour team members gave me. I had to research some information on particular topics. I had to prepare my own presentation on a particular company and propose an M&A transaction and to present it to the panel. This was my final project.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I liked my time at HSBC very much. Everyone was very supportive. I was given a lot of different tasks involving different aspects of the businees. We had a lot of networking events among the fellow interns and full-time staff. These helped to get a better understanding ob the businees and culture at HSBC.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyine tried to help when I had problems. People both from my team and other teams were very friendly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had a buddy and a line manager. They always gave me guidelines and gave me advice pn how to prepare my final project.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had different tasks, therefore it was always interesting to work. I was also given good reading material to learn about the industry and I was reading it when I had some free time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I think I was given the right amount of responsibility, not too much, not too little. I think my managers assessed my abilities correctly and gave me responsibility accordingly.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained a lot of experience. I became better at multitasking and I gained confidence when presenting. I have also learned how to analyse information quickly and efficiently. I think all these skills will be very important for my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very nice. Everyone worked a lot, but you could have a quick chat and a laugh with a colleague.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think the organisation was very good. We had a lot of talks, where we were told how the business operates, we had networking events and lunch & learn sessions. I think they were very useful in teaching us about HSBC.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a full week training and some additional training during internship. I think HSBC invested a lot in all the interns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Th work took out a lot of time, but sometimes I had free time during the weekend.