HSBC Global Private Banking Summer Analyst at HSBC

Banking - Investment Market Research Marketing

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.0/10

Liaised with private clients about their portfolio holdings; learnt to understand clients’ needs and objectives and learnt how to provide tailored services accordingly; utilised Mandarin and Cantonese in several client meetings with relationship managers from the Far East team.

Assisted managers on creating HSBC fund of hedge funds client pitches, brochures, leaflets and general marketing materials.

Generated new marketing ideas for HSBC fund of hedge funds products; chaired several meetings with the 3rd party software (TAO) developer to discuss creation of innovative graphs and charts.

Performed shadow accounting; identified fund valuation mismatch between our portfolio valuations and our custodian’s (State Street Bank).

The overall experience was enjoyable. There were plenty events organised by the HR which allowed us (interns) to network and meet other managers. I enjoyed my work and the colleagues were very friendly and supportive.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

Colleagues were surprisingly friendly and open to any questions. I was able to talk to any managers, which allowed me to network throughout the firms, to departments which I was interested in. It enabled me to explore more about the working environment and helped me to choose my career path.

Colleagues were extremely supportive. It was easy to go up to any of my colleagues and ask about their job and day to day work. My line-manager gave me support and insights throughout the internship.

I was kept busy by lines of projects. The friendly nature of the firm enabled me to reach out to other departments easily, which landed me extra meetings with clients outside my day to day work, and enabled me to explore my interests.

The level of responsibility I was given was fair.

The knowledge I've gained from the internship has been applied throughout my degree. It gave me a much broader and deeper understanding of the industry (especially hedge fund as I was working in the alternative investment department), which linked well with my current studies.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

My office was relaxing and lively. Colleagues were generally laid back and easy going.

It was structured and I was given a schedule for the 10 weeks period on day 1.

This question would be more appropriate for the graduate programme. As a summer intern, my main goal was to work towards the return over for me to get into the training scheme, which was an extensive structured training scheme, where I would be involved in three global rotations in different major cities throughout the 18 months of the contract. I believe the firm has and will invest heavily in the training programme.

I see a bright future in the company. Since the company is a global player, it allows me to rotate and explore whatever I am interested in.

The rest of the interns were also friendly with similar background. We often go out for drinks and many gatherings were organised amongst ourselves. I am currently still in touch with many of the interns.

The living expense was higher than average, as one would expect in London.

My office is situated in central London, green park. There is no need to emphasise the variety of nightlife scenes in London. Everyone knows that London is probably one of the most happening places.

Colleagues often go out for casual drinks after work on Thursday and Friday. There were plenty opportunities to get involved in activities during weekdays and weekends.