Analyst at Accenture

Internet/e-Commerce/New Media

Accenture is a Top Employer

6.3/10

6.0

My role was to review the current internal project Wiki, and create a new, updated version which would enable Project Managers to have one source of information outlining all the processes involved in the creation, running and closure of a project.

This consisted of work on spreadsheets, SharePoint, in meetings with project managers and team leads, and making presentations for handover and launch.

The people were amazing, but the environment I went into at the start was not. This was due to the fact that there was no role for me when I first got there (teams often flippantly apply for an intern for the wrong reasons) and I was really involved either with the client, or many Accenture people, for the first few weeks. However, I asked for work, was enthusiastic about taking on the Wiki project, and started to make up for the wasted time. It was a bit of a struggle, but I still view it really very positively. There was plenty of moments for making an impression, and when I was with other Accenture people there was a highly energised feel to the place that was both professional, down-to-earth and fiercely imaginative. Accenture really do choose very good people.

Again, the people, so great. From HR, my colleagues, my intern peers - all supportive, observant people.

They give you what you ask for.

It oscillated wildly between hectic mentality and pure ennui.

Again this varied a lot. I suspect you get as much as you ask for at Accenture.

TIME MANAGEMENT, what an improvement. Don't think that bit of Excel will come in too hand with the humanities, but the people skills are invaluable always.

It was summer, the vibe I hear is different then, but it took time for me to meet people once I'd left the haven of training week and moved up to Macclesfield for four days per week, to work on my own at a desk not facing anyone, in a portakabin.

The HR people in the City were amazing, the intern training was exceptional, as were the socials. Conversely, the people working at the client site really struggled with what to do with me, so it took a lot of effort on my part to find something valuable to do with my time, skills and enthusiasm. I got there in the end, but it was an uphill climb. I do not, however, think that my experience matches with everyone else's who was working there. There were certainly better organised ones, but why they sent me to the project I worked on at all - I don't know.

Again, HR was excellent, training was brilliant, team bonding opportunities aplenty.

The blend of good training and amazing people, it not only makes financial sense to start my career here.

Without a doubt. I met lifelong friends, and was in awe of some of the personalities there. We were all very enthusiastic about meeting up as regularly as possible during the internship, over and above the socials provided. Excellent.

LONDON EXPENSIVE; MACCLESFIELD EXPENSES. So a fine balance.

Again, the London bits were great, but in Macclesfield I was either in a hotel or a business park - the latter, being most of my working week, meant it was dreadful, I guess.

There were, but you had to make the effort.