Industrial Placement at Network Rail

Milton Keynes South West
Business Management Information Technology

8.9/10

9.4

Experience of IT project management within the Project and Programme Services (P&PS) area in Group Business Services function.

I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at Network Rail and very worthwhile as I have built up my confidence and developed relevant work experience to my degree scheme.

I was made to feel very valued by my colleagues and truly felt like part of the team.

Colleagues were very supportive and always willing to listen to any concerns that I had and find a resolution. Practice management very supportive and very focused on personal development.

At almost all times I had a sufficient amount of work to be getting on with across a number of projects. During periods of large workloads, my manager always made sure that I was coping.

I was highly satisfied with the level of responsibility I was given during my placement, being involved in a number of very high level projects.

I will be able to take away and incorporate a huge number of soft skills, written report skills and project management skills into my degree and further into my career.

Was a very open atmosphere; I found that most people were very approachable when I needed more information for a project or assistance for something. Good amount of informal chat so that I was able to get to know my teams better.

Very well organised, had opportunities to find out more about how Network Rail operates as a business, a number of very useful personal development workshops. Never had any issues with any HR / payment related issues.

A large number of personal development workshops and opportunity to suggest areas that we would like to develop in and have workshops set up by practice management to cater for this.

I have been given a conditional graduate offer based on 2:1 qualification in degree.

The majority of placements lived a fair distance away from Milton Keynes so was difficult to arrange occasionally in terms of logistics.

I found that Milton Keynes was similarly priced in terms of living and socialising costs to where my uni is based (Aberystwyth); this was reasonable and due to close proximity of flat near office, very convenient as well.

As the salary on the placement was so generous, I have been able to save a significant amount to go towards studying for my final year.

Plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs in Central Milton Keynes and very easy to travel to London from MK.

Yes, Network Rail has a sports and social club featuring a wide variety of activities to get involved in outside of work.