9.6/10

204 reviews

• About You
  • The Organisation
  • Everything Else

On the Summer Vacation Placement you will experience a real week in the life of a trainee solicitor which includes real responsibility, working on real case files and attending real client meetings.

2. I had a fantastic week at Shoosmiths, and the experience confirmed for me that the firm
    is an environment in which I would be delighted to further my legal career.

The work I undertook during my week long placement was both interesting and varied. I had the opportunity to complete a number of set task, including a short presentation at the end of the week.

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. Having the chance to meet many different Shoosmiths people, all at different stages of their careers, and all eager to give advice, was a truly indispensable experience.

Everyone I met was friendly, approachable and helpful throughout.

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
  6. Everyone I had the opportunity to meet, and especially the department in which I was based, were extremely friendly and welcoming. My supervisor in particular, a second year trainee, made the experience both memorable, and invaluable from a practical experience perspective.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. The week gave me the opportunity to work on some “live” matters, with the help of my
    supervisors. Applying the skills I had learned during the GDL to a real world commercial
    contract was a hugely rewarding experience. Discussing the work with my supervisor also
    provided a first hand experience of how academic skills translate to real-world legal expertise.

10. The placement was very well structured, with a depth and variety of activities to undertake.

12. Very friendly !

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  14. Whilst my experience was only one week long, I felt that I was able to learn a lot during this time.

15. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. The week provided a fantastic, first hand insight into the day-to-day running of the firm.

17. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. Again, having a first hand experience of the firm was invaluable in gaining a true, practical insight into the organisation.

The experienced confirmed for me that Shoosmiths was exactly the type of firm I would want to work for.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
  20. The experience cemented my ambition to work in this sector.

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
  22. I was paid for the week I attended the placement.

23. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  24. I had plenty of opportunity to meet other employees.

A personal highlight of the week would have to be my debut appearance for Shoosmiths FC in a friendly five-a-side football match with a neighbouring investment bank.

Meeting the other candidates and employees in a more social context was invaluable.

26. Very enjoyable (despite my appalling football performance).

27. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
  28. As above, meeting other employees in a social setting, provided an opportunity to further discuss such activities.

30. Absolutely, the experience was a key element to my decision making process.

Legal/Law