I am the intern in the production department, and so far my job has been to help easy production problems, analyse production time variances, and try to enable the factory to run more efficiently
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I'm finding my work placement very enjoyable. I am enjoying getting better experience of machining processes and how a manufacturing plant really works. I am also enjoying interacting with the people working in Schlumberger, and trying to gain as much knowledge from then as I can
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel like some of the work that I am doing is valued by my coworkers, as sometimes I am acting as a middle man between 2 departments, or I am taking part in a project that could change how things operate in the plant
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I am given great support by my manager and I feel that if i have any questions or problems that I am able to come to him and ask for help or clarification
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days I am much busier than others, but I am never bored and most of the time I have a project that I can be getting on with
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I at some stages I have been given the responsibility to make decisions, and have my decisions respected by the management. Some of my decisions have brought about expensive orders for equipment, and some have change how parts of the factory are organised
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel that the knowledge that I have received so far in my placement will be of great benefit when I am coming into my final years of my degree. This is because I am gaining a much better knowledge of some areas of engineering, from people who have actually been working in manufacturing for over 40 years, at times.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
My office is located in the tooling room of the factory, which means that there are constantly people coming to the hatches asking for tools or help from the tool room staff. This means that there are always opportunities to further my knowledge, and I my office is never dull
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Schlumberger is very organized in how they recruit and train their interns, and we are always kept busy with something to do. For the first month of my internship I was also able to work with the intern from the last year, so I was able to pick up any knowledge from her that I would have needed to know faster than if i was learning it myself
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company has invested a lot of time in me currently. We were paid for a week long training course to ensure that we were of a high enough standard to work as schlumberger employees to start. Since then, we were taken on an all expenses paid trip to London to meet other interns from around the UK, and receive a lecture from the vice president on what future careers in Schlumberger would look like .
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects are very appealing, as they were clearly laid out in a lecture that we were taken to. They laid out what graduate career paths we could take with the company, and there was a great sense that if you you are taken on as a graduate, then there are a lot of opportunities to climb up the levels of the organization. And the pay is very good
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There are 3 other students on placement in Schlumberger, and we all get along very well. We have lunch everyday together and we have organized events to go to outside of work aswell
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living is relatively cheap in the area where I work, But the company I'm working for is in the greater Belfast area, and I am from Belfast so it isn't expensive for me
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is very good in Belfast, although the venues that are open do not stay open as late as other places around the UK
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are many opportunities to get involved with things, Schlumberger Belfast has various clubs and societies that you can join