1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my whole 6 months with Schlumberger. The work I was tasked to do were very relevant to my degree allowing me to put my theoretical knowledge into practice. The people within the company were also very friendly ensuring my transit into the company was smooth.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by my colleagues who were very helpful in assisting me in all aspects. The project I was assigned to in the 6 months were not trival as the results would affect the progress of the project team. Therefore, I felt like a valuable resource in the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager and mentor were very helpful in assisting me in terms of administrative matters and technical knowledge. They also provided suggestions on how I can improve on both my soft and management skills.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was assigned to one big project to work on for 6 months. Therefore, i was given the chance to manage my time perfectly, ensuring I completed my assignment while preventing me from being too bored or busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
While I was solely responsible for the project I was assigned to, there was sufficient support I could get from my mentor allowing me to work efficiently. However, due to the health and safety issues, I was unable to run certain tests alone.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Both the technical and soft skills I picked up during the placement were very useful for my future work. By applying theoretical knowledge into practice, I have learnt a lot more about the compromises that have to be made and the problems typically face by a testing and verification engineer.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As I was situated in a small office, it was quieter than the typical office an intern would be assigned to. However, I loved my office as it allowed me to be more productive
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was assigned a project even before entering the company. My colleagues couldn't wait for me to start on my project as they would be useful for the project team. I was also assigned a buddy who assisted me whenever I had a question throughout the internship. There were also events held by the HR Department for the interns to get to know each other.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had to attend quite a number training during the first 2 weeks of my placement. They include electrical, fire and first aid training.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I hope to be able to join the company after I graduate. The company has a few graduate programs to pick from based on your preferences.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Definitely. During my placement, I mingled with fellow placement students after work. And we still keep in contact until now.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living was about 600-700 pounds per month. However, there isn't much to do in that area after work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is only 3 pubs in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. Most colleagues stays at Bristol, Cheltenham or Gloucester and drive to work. That is about 30mins drive away.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was a employees club where colleagues organize events outside of work. There is at least 1 event a week.