1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Performing an internship with Schlumberger has offered me the opportunity to further develop my researching skills in a professional and competitive environment. I have not only improved my capacity to investigate but I have also learned to prioritise certain things amongst others while dealing with real data scenarios.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The different ideas I had during the internship were highly valued, even though I was a MSc student.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
A periodic meeting with my supervisor helped me not to divert too much from the main objective, which was key to achieve good results in such a short time.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During my project I had something to do every day, either attending to courses or investigating on my topic.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The initial objective was quite ambitious from the start and I was given freedom and responsibility to come out with a solution.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills developed during my internship are already being extremely valuable in my career as a new PhD student, in which research and time management are essential for a successful performance.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Although everybody was focused on their work, we had some breaks and activities to relax.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The objectives were clear from the start and different deadlines were considered when planning the tasks.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
It is clear the company invested in me such that I could develop new skills. Many courses/workshops were available for that purpose.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
After finishing the internship I had a job interview, which will be in the records for future job applications after the completion of my PhD.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The company did not organise any event to meet the other interns until the very last moment, which makes it difficult to get to know fellow students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The company helped the interns to cover their expenses. Thus, there was no problem at all.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
To enjoy the nightlife one should take the train for half an hour, which can be annoying.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Several events were organised throughout my placement, such as BBQ.