1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Every single day was challenging and with a lot of variety, so I enjoyed it a lot. It basically never became boring.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My manager and direct supervisor strongly encouraged me to get the best out of myself and this was highly appreciated by them and the other researchers in the group.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The guidance was very good. My manger dealt with all the practical arrangements, while my supervisor took care of the technical part of the job. Weekly meetings were held to discuss my progress and future steps.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was very busy every day. Also the weekly meetings could be seen as some sort of deadline, so I always had to finish a certain amount of work before these days. This was in a way a bit stressful, although it helped me a lot to have a good overview of the work I did during the past week and the next steps I would take in the research process.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had full responsibility over the project and I could also freely choose which direction I wanted to go (within a certain framework of course)
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I gained and developed will be useful for the rest of my career. I always planned to go into scientific/industrial research and at Schlumberger I learned how to do research both independently and in a team, how to communicate results/progress, and how to work with novel scientific techniques.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Both very friendly and professional. The people I worked together with were really experts in their research domain and I learned a lot from it. But these people also became good friends and the atmosphere was really good. We also regularly met outside office hours.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation was very good, thanks to my manager. This was also necessary as the internship was part of my master thesis. so I needed to finish the work and report before a certain deadline. He took care of the fact that I finished certain parts of the job in time.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were a lot of possibilities to attend courses, internet sessions and lectures. This added to my personal development
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, It is an employer I can see myself working for in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good. We all got along very well and thanks to the Schlumberger Social club there were a lot of activities to get to know each other.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cambridge is very expensive, but the salary was more than enough to cover it all.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Cambridge is a bit small and there aren't that many nightclubs. However there are a lot of pubs in Cambridge, so that compensates for it.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Sure. As mentioned before, the Schlumberger Social club also took care of that.