Product Planning Assistant at TUI UK

Luton South East
Business Management Marketing Sales Travel and Tourism

8.0/10

As a product assistant I was responsible for looking after 12 Greek islands. I planned the strategy for these destinations - looking at pricing, quality and any new destinations we'd want to launch. At one time I'd be looking after 3 seasons on sale and planning a 4th season.

My placement at TUI UK was an amazing experience. From day one I got to experience different parts of the business while building my confidence and capabilities in my own role. Each day was different and provided new opportunities and challenges. If I could go back and do my year again I wouldn’t change a thing - It really was a fantastic year!

I was welcomed into my team straightaway and was treated the same as everyone else. I was expected to deliver to the same standard as everyone else and was encouraged to develop and push myself further. I have made some great friends within my team as well as the other departments I worked with. My opinions and input were always valued and taken seriously.

I had bi-weekly one to one's as well as a personal development plane and yearly objectives. I was supported by my manager to achieve my objectives although it was up to me to drive my development. My manager and wider team provided me with training sessions and other opportunities to develop myself and my commercial acumen improving my decision making and understanding of the wider business.

Depending on the time of year I was busier some days than others. But that doesn’t mean that everyday there wasn’t something to do. Some days I had strict deadlines which I had to meet where as other days I had work to do but could decide myself on its priority and what I would do first. No day is ever quiet but never did I feel like I was over worked - If I felt like I was ever struggling with work load I could speak to my manager and a solution was found. I liked keeping busy - it’s exciting.

I was given a lot of responsibility in my placement year. I was responsible for 12 Greek islands - the strategy for those islands and where we would take the islands in the future. This involved making decisions on hotel contracts which involved 100 thousands of pounds, as well as pricing new seasons and monitoring quality of our holidays on a day o day basis. At one time I would be looking after 3 seasons on sale as well as planning the next seasons.

The skills I have learnt have set me up not just for my degree but for my graduate job! Communication, commercial acumen, team work, time management and decision making are all skills I thought I was really good at but after being on placement I have learnt so much more than I thought I would! There is a lot more to learn than you might realise - a year in industry is invaluable - university can’t set you up for the working world but a placement can!

TUI is all about work hard play hard. There was constantly events happening, team nights out and quizzes, dress down Friday, Christmas parties and summer parties. TUI sells holidays and that’s a fun exciting product - so the atmosphere is like that.

It was really well organised and I had bi weekly meetings with the placement team to discuss what we'd been up to and where we'd want to develop. I also had a buddy who supported me with any issues I had.

TUI invested in my development form day 1 - I went on all training days that everyone else in my team went on and I was involved in the training of other new members. I was on a scheme TUI had to develop its assistants and when I left I was at a point where had I had stayed till Christmas I would have been promoted. Just shows how much TUI wants its people to achieve.

I got on the graduate scheme at TUI so will be returning in 2015. Working for TUI will open me up to so many opportunities both in the travel industry and outside. I can’t wait to go back and start my new job!

YES!! I went on trips to Amsterdam and Edinburgh will colleagues as well as going on work events to Tenerife, summer parties and Christmas parties! I was part of a team who organised the social events for my division - we aimed for an event every month or so - so there is always something happening!

Luton is a really cheap place to live in comparison to London. Although there's not much happening in Luton London was only 30 min train journey away and St Albans and Harpenden are nearby town full of bars and restaurants!

Luton only has one club called Liquid - most of the time you'd go to St Albans for Bars or London for a big night out!

There was a gym nearby and some fo the guys had a football team.