1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I wouldn't hesitate in saying that my Placement Year with Shoosmiths (Asset Finance - The Lakes) was the best year of my life to date.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given a lot of responsibility from very early on. This meant that I felt trusted, and that my time would be spent worthwhile. I have developed a number of strong friendships as a result.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The team in which I was placed was a new area of law for me; an area that I was completely unfamiliar with. The support/guidance that was received was first class; i was made to feel welcome, I was supported when I needed it and the guidance/advice helped me to develop in a way I didn't think I could.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always busy! Which was a good thing. I am an active person and having the pressure of a big workload (a lot of responsibility) early on helped me to focus and kept me engaged through-out my time at Shoosmiths.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given my own caseload within a month of starting in my new role. This was exciting, challenging and ultimately helped me to focus and develop.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Best year of my life. Both in terms of my personal development, and in developing my networking/social skills. I have made a number of long-lasting friendships and have also secured a Training Contract for 2016 - all because of the confidence/experience that I gained during my Placement Year. I literally cannot thank Shoosmiths enough.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Of course, with any office environment there is a limit on the amount of 'fun' which can be had. However, Shoosmiths (particularly Asset Finance) is made up of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met. There was never a day that went by where I was not looking forward to going into work. The open-planned offices helped to break down the awkwardness of first meets, and helped to develop strong friendship early on. I miss it!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I applied. I was hired. I worked with incredible, passionate people. I made incredible friends. I returned to studies. Simple.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I felt incredibly appreciated and felt as though I had limitless resources/advise at my fingertips.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Training Contract 2016 :-)!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Placement students all got along, and Asset Finance regularly went on 'team nights out'
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Prices were fairly reasonable - not as cheap as university, but cheaper than London!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I had many'a good times out... Mostly, I don't remember...
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I played rugby at Twickenham with Shoosmiths, sold Krispy Kreme doughnuts, partook in a Dragon Boat Race...