The product assistant role is very varied, no two days are the same. You are responsible for planning, developing and implementing resort strategies for your destinations. Some of the product assistants responsibilities involve: deciding which products to sell, what hotels to feature in your destination, checking brochure and web accuracy and pricing each holiday to ensure saleability and profitability.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Treated and valued like a normal full time member of staff
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was always approachable if I needed any support and encouraged me to spend time in other departments to extend my learning and knowledge of the business. Everyone in the business is really approachable and are always willing to help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The nature of the product role is fast paced and no two days are the same but this is what I enjoyed about the role! The workload is always manageable though.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You have the same role as a full time employee so you have great responsibility which was a highlight of the placement scheme for me. I was responsible for shaping and implementing 3 year product strategies for Thailand, Kenya, Goa, Mauritius and Aruba.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great place to work, very friendly and fun company
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Main form on training was on the job but there were plenty of opportunities to attend workshops and lunch and learns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Luton is a lot cheaper to live in compared to London... Might not be as glamorous but London is about 20mins on the train so you save a lot on rent!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?