Helpdesk Assistant at Lubrizol

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

6.5/10

6.5

Helpdesk Role,
Answering phone calls and responding to emails to solve problems or send the problem to the relevant team for a solution.
Also users may walk up and report a problem.

Other duties involved assisting in the change over of back up tapes and also occasionally helping in other small projects if the leader of the project thought you were up to the task.

I did enjoy the work I given but I think a year’s placement in it is enough.
It is perfect for a student who wants to work In IT but doesn’t know what part they want to advance in.
But the staff could be far more social and get to know there students better.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

At the beginning in my sites own IT department I did feel accepted but as the year went on, I felt as that I was the 'student' and regarded and felt like as 'your only here for a year!'
Engaging in talking about work was no problem in both ways - why there is at least two stars.
But I tried engaging in my department’s interests and hobbies and I got simple one word answers back.
But also they didn’t want to engage into knowing my social side and hobbies but they did to each other in with the rest of the department, just not me.
I think they found it hard to engage to talk to me and because of this I felt I lost my confidence to do the same back.
I did confront one of my supervisors about this matter but was simply told I was worrying about nothing and that everyone has different relationships with different people.
In summary my face just simply did not fit in!
Out of my other 11 colleagues in my department I think only one cared but that employee was away for quite a bit of my year.
Apart from my own department, the other departments at Lubrizol I always felt welcomed and appreciated for my work and they were always asking about what I do in my spare time and my hobbies and interests - again another reason for at least some stars about feeling valued.

I was given some great guidance and traning for the work I did.
But there were times where they didnt know if I understood in what I was doing and to be honest some times it wasnt clear from then in what they wanted me to do.
But again I think this is to do with the relationships I had with my department

There is always something to do!

Lubrizol is very good in giving out key roles in there departments to different people.
If you couldn’t access to something, you could look up who you needed for assistance to get access to what you wanted to do.

The technical skills I have learnt will help me for life. Also the social skills to handle difficult users will always be useful.
But the social skills I learnt to communicate in my department to be honest I would like to forget for the whole placement.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

It seemed everyone did enjoy there work but again I felt like iI wasn’t in the fun due to the relationships I had with my peers.

Lubrizol has been doing this role for students for years, so they know how to do it well.

I think i was used to the abilities that they wanted from me.
Of course all employers want more from there employees and I think my skills grew through out the year to perform and handle tasks better

I would work again for Lubrizol in the IT department, but not the site I was based at

There was another student in my department and I would say we got a long and there were a few arguments but I would say we were not friends but just colleagues.

Derby is cheap to live at

Night life is great in derby and also a cheap night out!!

Yeah there is a sports and social club that do some cool events