This was a knowledge based internship. Experience was gained through learning off industry experts and shadowing their campaigns and activities. Other activities included being part of small campaigns copywriting and data processing. A full schedule was given for the entire week and involved work with PR, branding, budgeting, sales, digital marketing, campaigns and advertising.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Rather than a practical based experience it involved working with industry professionals within the company through all departments. It was a brilliant insight into how a company works as a whole rather than jsut marketing based experience. The knowledge gained from Experian was very valuable and helped improve my knowledge of how marketing functions.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The marketing department at Experian has a very solid balance of work and play. They are both friendly and professional and everyone I came into contact with gave me their full attention and advice on how to do well in any industry.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The management was friendly and approachable and had plenty of experience to help improve the skills learnt at university. This level of support and guidence ran throughout the team.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Although there was few tasks available to an intern the true experience came from the knowledge of different levels of colleges. The key to keeping busy was networking within the company and filling your own schedule.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As a large blue chip company with a respected reputation there was a low level of responibility available to a two week intern. However I was involved in minor parts of campaigns which lead to fulfilling results.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The experinced advice I gained from many professionals is one I will take through the rest of my working life, I recieved brilliant advice from everyone who worked at Experian and developed an understanding of how a marketing department functions within a blue chip company. My aim for the week was to find out the true value of the theories I had been learning and within the time I worked at Experian this was definately achieved.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
To say the "fun never stopped" would be saying that Experians marketing department does not work hard achieving its results. However the atmosphere at Experian was very welcoming and people genuinely enjoyed their work that is why the atmosphere deserves a full 10 star rating.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Experian has to do a full credit check on all its employees including its interns. This was a struggle as I had previous not had a credit check. The work itself was very organised and I was given a full two week schedule which was organised before my arrival. Communication was also very good between myself as an intern and the managers of the Experian marketing department.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As a two week intern the level of training available to me was limited, the personal training I recieved was more in the form of one to one conversation with different professionals within Experian.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment looks promising due to a positive overall impression. When my years placement comes around I have been advised to enquire within Experian. It would be a fantastic company to work for.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was only one social event during my time at Experian and I had a lot of fun with my colleges. They are a lively, friendly and very funny bunch of people.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
A travel pass was given to me saving me £3.20 a day in bus fair. The cost of socialising in Nottingham is reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Its Nottingham, it has a brilliant and varied nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?