1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my time at Air Products and I felt valued by my team. I had a good exposure to the company and was given meaningful tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I made a good network of contacts throughout the company and felt valued by the company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I received an excellent support from all my managers and supervisors, despite their very busy schedules. I felt I could approach them anytime, with any question.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a good balance of very busy days and days where I didn't have a lot of workload.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility on individual projects which were in turn gave me a very good exposure to the company.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I had a very good insight in to process engineering and gained a lot mechanical engineering knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise learnt at university. I developed very good professional, analytical and technical skills. I also gained a good understanding of how the business works from the commercial prospective.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly and professional.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was fairly well organised, with good variety of opportunities enabling development in different areas of engineering. There were also a number of social activities.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Worked in a different department each summer and had a fair number of opportunities to go to sites. I also received an annual sponsorship from the company to support my studies at university.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing considering the structure of the graduate programme as well as the opportunities to carry out international assignments.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good social scene - a number of trips to cinema and pubs as well as good integration with the existing graduates.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is above the national average but cheaper than London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Local area is fairly quiet so not the greatest nightlife, however London is only 30-40 mins by train away from Hersham - so a good balance.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A lot of sporting and volunteering activities available!