This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

2.2/5
  • The Role
    1.7
  • The Company
    2.1
  • The Culture
    3.3

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • I didn't, everyday was a struggle. And it was like this from the beginning when it took the management a month to find me a laptop to actually do some work, didn't make me feel welcomed at all.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • Colleague made me feel welcomed, but not valued as they never gave me any work and i had to graft my own work. Even when i did something good, i recieved no praise.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • The manager i spoke to on the interview left for maternity leave, and my other manager was in denmark. So i didn't have a manager to give me advice, i was always known as the 'other' student

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • Not really, no real role was given to me, and i had to graft work myself.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • Nothing, i had no work to be reponsibile for.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • Even though i had no work, i was alwsy puntual, on time and still kept my head down and worked, so i know i can wake up at 7 to do work, and not feel tired, this will be a key factor for me next year.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • The atmosphere was ok in the office, they had moments of fun but unfortuately i worked in an sales enviroment which had the selling mentally, which made it hard for me, as i have no selling past.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • No laptop within a month, i think say it all.... Also there was no clear plan for my job role as i went from one type of work to another. But again i had to graft my own work.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • Not heavily, i went on some type of trianing course, but towards the end as i was a student, they didn't invest anything into me, i.e. there wasa team traning and the only people who didn't attend where students, and other departments had the same traning and they took students.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

Staff Sales/Staff Shop

Above 25 days holiday

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • I would apply as half the interview stage would be cut off but i didn't get a job, i wouldn't be too annoyed. I think it would be different as a graduate but then in the department i worked in, they are graduate and they seem to recieve the same treatment as i did.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • There was an excellent social scene, we went on numerous outings and create a football league. A few of the oputing were go karting, paint balling, sky diving! etc. We all usually went out once a week, so that made the placement more enjoyable.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • Cost was better than the cost i had to pay in london, as my uni is in london. It wasn;t cheap as chips but i still managed to save some money, but only when i was tight.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • There were quite alot of night events in our department, but if you was part of the sales team, then you stuck with the sales team, it was rare when all teams integrated together. But as students we made the night life good.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • There were, especially for me as i had to work assigned to me, a certain project i worked on was the schools website challenge, which invovled me going to a school and helping them build a website, we worked with the spinnaker tower to build and education website. That was the best event i did at ibm.

Information Technology