Sales intern working in beverage to increase sales of Dolce Gusto pod coffee machines within the Irish market.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The project that I was given was very interesting. The brand that I was given was very exciting and gave me a lot of ideas of how I could meet my brief. The opportunities that this gave me to find out more about the market and the insight it gave me into consumers was very interesting and beneificial. I enjoyed coming to work everyday and the work that I was given to do was interesting while challenging me to apply my own knowledge to come to a solution.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the office were so friendly and very interested in what we were doing inside and outside of work. Everyone could not have been more welcoming.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support that I was given by my line manager was great. They were never too busy to talk and alway skeen to help me with any problems that I was having.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were busier than others but there was always something that I could be doing for my project. I spent a few days in other businesses learning a wide range of techniques that I could apply to my project and take with me afterwards to apply to future work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility over my own project and which direction it would take. I was also more responsibility over daily requirements at times when my manager was on annual leave for other areas of the department.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I developed will really help me in my final year of studies. I have learned how to extract relevent information that can be applied to complete a project brief while managing my time effectively. I have also been taught how to improve my presentation skills to provide an impactful engaging presentation which will enable me to express the key points of my project. The skills that I have learned during this internship will really help me in all areas of work that I could take on in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was upbeat and interested in the work that they were doing. At times everyone seemed stressed at the same time but they were still able to take a break and relax.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship programme within Nestle was very well set up. The project that I was given was matched to my skills and strengths which made it enjoyable and interesting. The only area of improvement that would be required is communication between Nestle and the interns before the start of the internship to ensure that you can be fully prepared and know what will be happening before you start.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Nestle are very keen for interns to develop skills and learn as much as you can during the ten weeks. I was encouraged to go to other companies and learn from them in order to expand my range of knowledge. Within the ten weeks we also attended two training days where we learned how to improve our presentation and negotiation skills. We were also encouraged to ask questions, no matter how small, in other areas of the business in order to really understand what Nestle does and what opportunities could be available to Nestle employees.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If I was to be offered a job in the future with Nestle I would take it. I have learned that there are so many different opportunities that a grad can have within Nestle and the grad scheme would enable me to have a high level of responsibility with great support from those within the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was placed with one other intern and we had a great time. I think in other places where there were a larger number of interns had more of a social scene but we still managed to have a great time together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was placed in Dublin, which is known for being very expensive. Although the office was in the outskirts of the city, we lived right in the city centre which can be very expensive. However, once we figured out where was good for cheaper options we were able to have a great time without spending too much. dublin has lots of great things to do for reasonable prices.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Where we worked had no nightlife as it is just a business campus however the centre of Dublin has great nightlife every night of the week.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We did a few things outside of the office with people from work but not that many.