Greeted customers at the entrance of the branch, assisted with the use of the electronic payment machines, helped customers to choose a product or service that best meets their needs, opened accounts, transactional enquiries
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Was good once the training perios was over and I realised that my role was to be carrying out transactions and not management related
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Treated well and helped all along the way.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
A lot of support initially and always someone willing to help if I asked. Had a weekly meeting with my manager , however had no/little contact with the branch manager
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During the initial training period there were chronic IT problems so I couldn't do anything for a week! After training was very busy though, as with any retail environment role.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was allowed to face customers from the go and could open accounts . No management roe though
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Ability to work with colleagues in a retail environment and to deal with pressure. Gained some financial product knowledge understanding and procedural information (which isn't useful outside the branch). Learnt more about people than banking to be honest
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Good sense of camaradeie and banter. Had home clothes day at one point which was fun
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
A significant disconnect between HSBC graduate team and the branch in what an intern is to do and the quality of your internship is highly dependent on the luck of the draw when it comes to your manager. I was lucky though, but heard bad stories from other interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Invested a good amount in centrally organised events and salary!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
This internship scheme leads to the potential of being a Branch Manager / Commercial Manager upon graduation. It is also possible to be a part of HSBC Group Management
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
If you are based in a branch in London maybe so, however in the North West everyone was too far apart to co-ordinate a night out!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Chester is pretty cheap
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A lot of opps with community work and sport, branch football team charity sponsored events