Online merchandising role on the Thomson and First Choice websites
Included working alongside many departments such as product, trading and marketing to ensure that site content was relevant and up to date
Push commercial messages on the websites to increase online sales
Key stakeholder for online competitor information
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
From day one I was welcomed into my team and given real responsibilities in my job. I was also given the opportunity to spend time in other departments to give me a wider overview of how the business works.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team always respected my opinion and responsibilities and were always on hand if I needed any support
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I couldn't have had a more supportive manager during my placement year. She was always on hand to give me support within my role but also other opportunities and projects outside of my team.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My job role varied on busy periods however I never felt that I had too much work on and if I was very busy within my role I always felt that I had the support to complete my tasks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given as much responsibility as someone in a normal role within my team. I was treated as a full time member of the team from day one and always had the opportunity to start different projects and work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
If i had a dissertation my role would have played a huge part in what i would have based this on. Although I do not have a dissertation I do feel that I can apply many of the skills I've learnt back into my degree where possible. Especially in terms of improved group work, communication and leadership skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
My department is quite relaxed, and gives a nice environment to do the role
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement scheme are always looking for new ways to improve so this is likely to increase anyway. They just need to ensure that the eCommerce placement is well aligned with the commercial placement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I didn't have too much training but the opportunities are out there if you want them
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been offered a role on the Graduate Leadership programme
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We didn't go out on nights on a weekly basis but that was our choice as we often went elsewhere at the weekends. I went on holiday twice with the placements during the year and already have 4 weeks travelling set up with a few of them so you will definitely meet people to socialize with
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is really cheap especially as good links into London
Going out in Luton wasn't really much of an option but nearby places such as Harpenden, St Albans and London mean that socializing is not a problem
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Luton is not recommended as a night life. But you can still have a good time in near by areas with London not far on the train
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I think each team differed like usual but I have done several things outside of work with my team