1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
10 weeeks well spent. Great opportunity to gain valuable experience in a FTSE 100 organisation aswell as experiencing Edinburgh during festival season.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues gave me excellent support to help me have a successful internship.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
We were assigned mentors that helped us with a development plan, I found this very helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Days consist of working on own personal projects aswell as assisting other team memebers with other work. There were always opportunities to take on more if you were having a quiet day.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was the given responsibities of managing and delivering projects I owned.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The internship has helped me understand the different roles of accountants within a financial services organisation. The expereiece will also help me see more clearly how my accounting degree at university relates to real life situations in the workplace.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was very friendly, open plan made you feel part of a team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Structured intern development plan, as well as personal plans as set out by your spefic team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Had time set aside specifically for develoment. The included skills workshops and lunch time learning sessions.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The opportunity to work full time for Standard Life would be a great opportunity.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As a group of interns we had an amazing time outside work. This included nights out, trips to the fringe etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Edinburgh is more expensive than some other places but can't beat the atmosphere.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Plenty of bars, restraunts and clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there are some, i took part in 7 aside football afterwork.