System x Pre-Sales at IBM

Information Technology

IBM is a Top Employer

5.7/10

5.4

My actual day-to-day role wasn't that great, however other aspects of the job did make it an enjoyable year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

I worked in a virtual team with little face-to-face contact, and did at times feel undervalued by colleagues.

Again, as part of a virtual team I did sometimes feel distanced from management.

Some days I was run off my feet, other days I had nothing to do.

I was responsible for putting together large quotes for tenders to huge multinationals.

I developed my IT and communications skills, however many of the other skills I learnt aren't that transferrable.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

I worked in an open plan, hot desk type office, with different people coming and going every day, so there was little office banter. However we did have a good laugh amongst the other placement students.

Initially it was good, however I did feel that once my predecessor left, I was out on my own a bit.

I could take online courses, but these were not compulsory. After the first month or so I had little additional training and was expected to keep myself up-to-date with technical developments.

I did not apply for the Graduate scheme, however students who have completed an IBM placement are fast-tracked through.

There were around 20 students at IBM Warwick, so we did have a good time socially.

Warwick/Leamington Spa is fairly expensive but there is a good range of student-type houses available, and loads of things to do locally.

Warwick is pretty quiet, however Leamington Spa is a great night out.

I played football once a week amongst colleagues; there is also a Sunday team, and other IBM activities to get involved in, such as organising events.