Actuarial Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Actuarial

8.5/10

Creating a Mortality Improvement Study in the Assumptions and Methodology Developement Team

Thoroughly enjoyed the work and the project that I was given during my time at Standard Life; was responsible for building and reporting on mortality projection models. The tasks were very challenging at times but had more than enough support from my manager and other team members

My manager explained to me the real significance of my work for the team and was asked to give progress reports to the team in each team meeting.

The support and guidance provided by my manager was superb; was happy to take time out of his busy schedule to explain ideas, concepts and the project to me. The rest of the team were very willing to take time to help and explain things to me.

My project was designed to take the 10 weeks and therefore the multi-factor aspect of the project meant that there was always something for me to get on with. Even though I was busy, I never felt overwhelmed with the amount of work.

I was given the one main project for the 10 weeks, so I was not completing work from other parts of the team but was able to find out more about the different parts of the team in team meetings.

Soft skills such as organisational and time management skills have certainly improved thanks to the internship, which will be useful for my final year at University; my project used a lot of statistical ideas and concepts which has helped me see how statistics can be applied in the real world.

The atmosphere in the office was friendly and very easy to ask questions to others in the team; at times quiet during parts of the summer

Cannot find any big faults with the internship set up - excellently organised; from the welcome day to meeting the team / buddy to the organisation of the project, everything was excellently thought through.

Huge investment into us interns; lunchtime learning sessions including presentation skills session, strengths finder session etc. Standard Life have a strong focus on personal development and is visible even as an intern.

Very good organisation with an excellent graduate actuarial scheme; range of opportunities for graduate actuarial students to get involved with

Standard Life provided free accommodation for interns outside of Edinburgh in the same appartment block; made it very easy to get to know other interns

Free accommodation provided by Standard Life, prices are those to be expected in a major city like Edinburgh.

Good range of bars, restaurants, clubs for all; even better during the Fringe in August

Team night outs / Team lunches / Scheme lunches etc.