Sales & Marketing Summer Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Marketing

8.1/10

7.3

Working in the Customer Experience team.

It was difficult to start with, as I figured out exactly what I needed to do. Met lots of brilliant people (other interns and colleagues), and got to spend time in Edinburgh during the Fringe.

Colleagues seemed to value my opinion, and encouraged me to contribute.

Received really useful feedback during 1-2-1s, although these happened less frequently than I had expected. Whenever I needed guidance, my manager was always happy to help. I got as much support as I requested.

There were days, especially near the beginning, where I didn't have much to work on, so I would meet lots of people from across the business instead. My business depended on how much I decided to take on--and I did find it hard to strike the right balance.

I delivered a workshop, chaired a monthly meeting, organised an event for other interns and helped shape new projects. Being paired with someone else for what was initially my main task did sometimes mean I didn't have as much responsibility as I maybe would have liked.

This is my first time I've worked in a corporate environment, and I now feel better equipped for when I leave university. While I didn't learn any technical skills (apart from familiarising myself with some new software), I know more about my strengths and weaknesses. I now also have a great insight into a part of Customer & Marketing I knew nothing about.

This internship won't help me with my degree, but that's not why I wanted to do it! It certainly has given me a great deal of confidence, and a bit of a world view on how largish organisations work.

Open plan office; great view of Edinburgh castle; lovely colleagues. Most of the time very laid back, but sometimes it can be bustling: a nice balance.

Very well structured, with frequent development events for interns. Frequently met up with my manager for 1-2-1s and with my assigned 'buddies'. Accommodation provided was only a 10 minute walk away. Interns are treated as real members of staff, which is great.

Personal development mainly came as a result of feedback from colleagues. Influential leaders throughout the business were always willing to meet, and I learned a great deal from them. The Strengthsfinder task we were set was very helpful for understanding my traits.

As I did the internship one year earlier than norm, I can't be guaranteed a place on the grad scheme. I was informed of this before I started though. While it's a shame SL don't defer entry, I have been told that I'd be welcomed back.

I would definitely consider returning in two years' time if a move to Edinburgh felt right.

Edinburgh during the Fringe, and a great bunch of interns all living together. Perfect! The hours are reasonable too: most staff leave at 5 on the dot!

Good accommodation was provided, which was really generous. Edinburgh is pricey but not unreasonable.

Again: Edinburgh during the Fringe. Great.

Nights out with the team, and an intern night out paid for by the company.