Plant support, process design, site support, efficiency modelling as well as a variety of other tasks.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I didn't expect an Engineering environment to be like this. Genuinely a lovely place to work, the atmosphere is pleasant and always positive. You dont find yourself bored, drained and without something to keep you occupied. The canteen is great and most importantly the work culture is truly incredible, very sociable, friendly and supportive environment. I would happily see myself working for this company as a graduate.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team is great, every member in some way or another trusts you and gives you responsibility to help out with a piece of work or even take on board large projects.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
What's incredible about Air Products is, in my 1 year of being here i have not detected any frustrations of negativity from a single member of staff in regards to my questions, regardless how often i ask. It was kind of worrying at first; I was thinking is this a reality show or something, but you end up realising that they genuinely are always there to help you whenever you need it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It is a perfect balance because the nature of my department is workloads are not repetitive or boring, they require engagement and a consistency. There have been moments where I've been very busy but it has always been manageable .
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Being given the opportunity to travel to Belgium on my own to supervise a refurbishment of a large vessel, gives a good indication of the responsibility you get as an Industrial Placement student.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My skills have vastly developed, from time management or troubleshooting; I have gained an excellent insight into the world of engineering and just how to be an effective engineer. Placement years give you that appreciation of whatever field of study you are in, you realise how important these basic skills are.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It's never always quiet or constantly hectic, it has it's surges of activity and social engagement. A great balance.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Incredibly organised. The support from my supervisor, from HR and the overall journey that's taken place has had great structure to it.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I took part in advanced troubleshooting training in addition technical training and Health and Safety sessions.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very promising, the graduate scheme is incredibly structured to develop you in many areas.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
A good sociable environment; where engagement with the team and other placement students is encouraged.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Coming from the cheapest city in England to the south was a great contrast. The south is very expensive however the wages are generous enough to make sure you have time for fun and save a little money in the piggy bank.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In the immediate area the nightlife is not spectacular, i personally dont care about nightlife for it's not my cup of tea. However it only takes 30 minutes to get to central london (waterloo) so party central of the UK is just around the corner really.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company does host many social activities such as barbecues and extra curricular work to get involved with, however in terms of recreational time it depends on who you meet and know of in the area.