1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship at Standard Life. I felt like my development and experience was really prioritized by HR, my manager and the stream heads. Every courtesy was extended to ensure we had the best possible time.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I wasn't treated like an intern - rather, as a valued full time employee. Every person I approached welcomed me with open arms and was extremely friendly and helpful.It was generally a great working environment to be a part of.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I found there to be a great balance between support/guidance and independence. I was given lots of responsibilities but always had my manager/buddy/coach to fall back on for advice/help. My coach and I had formal meetings at least once a week which was great for feedback / reflection / learning purposes.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was quite busy on a daily basis which was great. There was never one moment when I felt very bored or didn't have anything to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility and had complete ownership over my project, which was something that I got to oversee end-to-end.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that the skills developed will absolutely assist me in my degree and general life
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere withn Standard Life House is a good one. Everyone is extremely friendly and happy to help. You're also surrounded by a lot of intelligent like-minded people which is very motivating.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised and a thoroughly enjoyable experience - from the assessment centre to the intership itself.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had weekly development sessions with all the interns in addition to development and training within our respective teams
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They're great. The graduate scheme really fast tracks you and accelerates your development.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a great social scene. Lots of things going on. Especially within interns - from sports events, to nights out, to Fringe events - there was always something going on.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It depends what you're doing and where you go but generally I'd say everything is quite fair.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Edinburgh generally has a great Nightlife and we were also there for the Fringe which made it even better.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were lots of opportunities for the interns to bond together because we were all in the same accommodation, my team also had drinks every Friday which was great for team bonding.