Intern within the customer operations department in the service development area.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed being given real responsibility and feeling like the work I was doing was significant.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The majority of people I met were really welcoming and keen to help where they could.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular catch ups with my manager as well as other mentors.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At first there were some busy times and some quiet times, but as I got into the project I had a steady flow of work to be getting on with and built up the contacts neccessary to help me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was given ownership of 2 projects which were real pieces of work which will be carried on after I leave.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This was a great way to experience a research project but from a different angle than acadenmic- this will help me as I go back to uni for final year. I gained a real insight into what it's like to work for a financial services company/ any similar organisation and would be much more prepared for working in this environment in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People enjoy having a joke but are serious when they need to be. Everyone is made to feel welcome.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very good with regular intern development sessions spread out across the time here.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a strengthsfinder and presentation skills session. We were encouraged to think about our personal development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will have to wait til I hear back at the end of my placement.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Good amongst interns, more difficult for those not living within the assigned accomodation. (lived too close to qualify for this)
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Edinburgh is not a cheap place to live but is not vastly more than other places e.g. is fair compared to London
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It's great- had already experienced it from living nearby.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had a social comittee that organised events for us.