Assist on various different jobs including both mechanical and electrical.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Working for Atkins gave me the opportunity to work on larger projects and take on just as much responsibility as a graduate would from day one. The placement has enhanced my skills and knowledge on different key software packages which I use at university. I feel more confident using the software as colleagues offered me feedback on the work I had done allowing me to understand the task at hand a lot clearer.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were extrememly friendly to me allowing me to settle in very quickly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager was always looking for work for me to do in order to get the most out of my placement and regularly check how I was getting on with the tasks set. Some tasks were more challenging than others, however these were the tasks I relished the most, in order to test my engineering knowledge.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was kept busy and enjoyed the work. With the placement only lasting a short period of time and still being an undergraduate I was not able to take on a large job for myself which would keep me busy all of the time which is understandable but this had its advantages as I was allowed to work on a larger variety of jobs.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount of responsibility was just right. I agree to everybody needing some responsibility as this keeps employees motivated and productive. I never felt under pressure even on a deadline day because I knew what I had to do in order to benefit the team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Skills such as software knowledge, team-work, communication skills, improved knowledge on innovative technologies and an overall better knowledge in building services engineering are the main skills I have developed during my placement. These skills will stick by me through my masters and any future jobs I have.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office had a great atmosphere with everyone working well together.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was able to come in and commence work on my first day which I was very pleased with particularly with the placement only lasting for 11 weeks.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Everything I required was available to me. Software packages are extremely expensive and were purchased when needed.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Would be great to continue working for Atkins after graduation.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. A year placement would have been great to continue getting to know people better.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Due to the size of the office there was always people coming and going for various different reasons and when people left they got a good farewell.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Being close to London the nighlife options were endless.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Again living close to London there were lots of opportunities. Going to the gym, cycling and playing football were the main activities I got involve in. If I was there longer I would have joined a boxing club.