Student Engineer at Atkins

Epsom Greater London
Energy Engineering Design Environmental Electronic and Electrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering Energy Engineering Design Electronic and Electrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering

8.8/10

Assist on various different jobs including both mechanical and electrical.

Working for Atkins gave me the opportunity to work on larger projects and take on just as much responsibility as a graduate would from day one. The placement has enhanced my skills and knowledge on different key software packages which I use at university. I feel more confident using the software as colleagues offered me feedback on the work I had done allowing me to understand the task at hand a lot clearer.

My colleagues were extrememly friendly to me allowing me to settle in very quickly.

My line manager was always looking for work for me to do in order to get the most out of my placement and regularly check how I was getting on with the tasks set. Some tasks were more challenging than others, however these were the tasks I relished the most, in order to test my engineering knowledge.

I was kept busy and enjoyed the work. With the placement only lasting a short period of time and still being an undergraduate I was not able to take on a large job for myself which would keep me busy all of the time which is understandable but this had its advantages as I was allowed to work on a larger variety of jobs.

The amount of responsibility was just right. I agree to everybody needing some responsibility as this keeps employees motivated and productive. I never felt under pressure even on a deadline day because I knew what I had to do in order to benefit the team.

Skills such as software knowledge, team-work, communication skills, improved knowledge on innovative technologies and an overall better knowledge in building services engineering are the main skills I have developed during my placement. These skills will stick by me through my masters and any future jobs I have.

The office had a great atmosphere with everyone working well together.

I was able to come in and commence work on my first day which I was very pleased with particularly with the placement only lasting for 11 weeks.

Everything I required was available to me. Software packages are extremely expensive and were purchased when needed.

Would be great to continue working for Atkins after graduation.

Yes. A year placement would have been great to continue getting to know people better.

Due to the size of the office there was always people coming and going for various different reasons and when people left they got a good farewell.

Being close to London the nighlife options were endless.

Again living close to London there were lots of opportunities. Going to the gym, cycling and playing football were the main activities I got involve in. If I was there longer I would have joined a boxing club.