1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a great experience for me and I really enjoyed it. I liked that I was given responsibility for my own projects and I learned a lot from it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was treated well and didn't feel like I was coming in from the outside so to speak. It was a great atmosphere and people were really friendly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was a given all the support I needed from my manager and other colleagues. They are there to support you and will answer any question you have.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload was not too bad. I felt like it was manageable on a daily basis and I always had something to do but it was not at the point where it was too much to handle which was good.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility from the start and ran my own projects. This helped me develop my skills in this area and I think I learned a lot from it definitely.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have learned and developed are really skills for life. I will for sure use these skills in the future and I am glad I took the opportunity to participate in this internship.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The environment for working was really good. I felt the part of the office that I was located in was really good. The people around me were really friendly and always wanted to help with anything I needed help with.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Network Rail organised this internship brilliantly. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the organisation made it all the more enjoyable. Great experience.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company definitely invests in you as an individual and is able to offer training and other personal development plans to help you achieve your best. My manager gave me advice regularly on how to be better and it caused me to develop key skills.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Employment prospects look good and I am looking to return to the company for a graduate job if all goes well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene was great. I got to know the other interns through events and things like going out for lunch. I met some really great people during the internship which was great.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost was pretty high because it is in London, but manageable. Drinks can get expensive in a few popular bars.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was great with lots of variety. I enjoyed my time here a lot and would definitely return.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were quite a few networking opportunities during the internship and I used these to network with people in the company. I found it really good to get to know these people and build up my network.