Managing risks and opportunities.
Requirements based engineering.
Documenting findings and helping to find the final solutions.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Opportunities for movement within the company were limited as an intern, though the department I was working for was excellent. Limited opportunities to see the actual product you were working on. A method of securing a graduate position would be much appreciated.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued, looked after and they supported my education as well as work queries.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Excellent support. Areas of improvement suggested, complimented on good work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Peaks and troughs, on a whole this was well done.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Built up responsibility from day 1 by understanding tasks and performing at a high level. Towards the end of the placement and summer extension running tasks with guidance of colleagues.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skill and training has developed me but not necessarily for university. More so for industry and work after graduating. I will have a much greater awareness of design principals and associated application.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great atmosphere, team was excellent. Would have preferred it not to be in a porta-cabin but can't have everything!!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well set up and initiated. Regular communication with line manager and placement co-ordinator. Regular meetings with other interns, organised events etc.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel more investment could have been made in particular for training. The development side was great with involvement across intern and graduate groups, taking part in assisting younger school children to read etc.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I had a great experience with the company and feel like I would want to work there in the future. But, no commitment given from the company that there is any preference given to previous interns! Feels a little bit disappointing, considering the management team seemed extremely happy with my contributions!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Between interns and graduates there has been plenty going on! Enough time to do what you want, when you want to. Different experiences and lots of fun!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Average and affordable if you're careful!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Bristol has an excellent night life!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Within the intern group activities took place on a regular basis. Not many opportunities through the company themselves.