Product Development Intern at Airbus

Bristol South West
Aeronautical Engineering

8.3/10

I worked in the Continuous Product Development (CPD) department for all Single Aisle Aircraft. I was responsible for design and project management related aspects of modifications to these aircraft. I had daily meetings with designers and chief engineers to coordinate these changes. This involved creating and presenting reports to a panel of senior business department heads every week.

I found my year placement at Airbus very enjoyable overall. It was, as I can imagine is the case with all placements, a bit strange to go from Uni into a professional working environment but I would definitely recommend the internship to other students keen to get real industrial experience.

I felt very valued by the people I worked with. They were very willing to give me as much work and support as I felt able to cope with.

I was given as much support and guidance as I required. Airbus were very willing to accommodate any requests I made while I worked for them.

Work loads varied from day to day but on average I was kept busy with work that I felt helped make a difference to the department and business as a whole. I found that the amount of work I was given was very much down to how proactive I was in finding/completing it.

The particular department I worked in allowed me to take on a reasonable amount of responsibility. This was very much down to the degree of proactivity I took in tackling various tasks I had. I found that the more work I sought out myself, the more I was able to take on tasks that had real impact and carried proper responsibility. This was a good thing about the placement with Airbus as it pushed me to work hard during less busy periods.

The experiences and training I received at Airbus helped more to develop my transferable/life skills (rather than those gained through academia) such as public speaking, working with team members and day to day problem solving.

Fun, upbeat and friendly atmosphere in your office

Airbus have a good, well structured internship programme on the whole.

Airbus was very keen to accommodate requests for training/development. Very rarely was it the case that I was unable to take part in something/training due to the length of my placement. Often I felt like Airbus were investing in me so that I would consider coming back.

Future employment is a very viable prospect having worked in this internship. I have been invited to a 'speeded-up' interview process due to the good work that I did during my placement.

There is a strong intern base at Airbus, especially at Filton in Bristol where I worked. It is easy to make friends and partake in intern related events.

Bristol is a fantastic city that caters for students brilliantly. There ample cheap student and plush professional establishments in and around the centre.

Bristol has one of the best nightlife of any place outside London - you can't go wrong with a trip out to the centre.

Yes. I was involved in a 5-a-side football league just down the road every Wednesday.