6 week Internship. Went to clients sites working on Statutory Audit, smaller audits, shadowed Partners to client meetings.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Had guidance whenever I needed it, I was assigned a 'buddy' and a counselling manager.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had something to do, but was never too busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My first week after training I was on a statutory audit where i was given the responsibility to do many sections all by myself. It meant I learnt very quickly, and soon built up confidence to talk to clients and tackle other unknown jobs.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There were many other people working there around my age or slightly older and all were lovely. Noone was too serious to share a joke with and we had many laughs but still took our jobs seriously. I looked forward to times when I worked in the office, they all made me feel welcome.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I received quick decisions from themafter my assessment/interview day and contracts and other information was sent quickly and well ahead of time. I had several different jobs planned.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They spent a whole week at the beginning training us in London with all the other interns from around the country. We all recieved our own laptops. We were also given Presentations on Presentation skills and other useful skills we may need.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I had to do a Case Study and Interview with a Partner on my final day in the office. I was told at the start of the Interview I had the job which I definitly intend to take.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
With only one other intern at my office I was slightly worried but there were plenty of other people around my age who made me feel completly welcome and I went out many times with them. We also got invited to a football tournament with them, which was great fun.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I stayed in Uni halls whilst on this internship. As it was over the summer it was very cheap and the nightlife was average prices. As I was the new intern i did recieve a lot of free drinks.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Compared to what I get at home, the nightlife was great.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I have already been signed up for the girls footy and netball teams for when I do start after I graduate. I took part in a mixed footy tournament whilst on my internship, even though I am rubbish at football! There are other opportunities such as a day at the races with the whole department, quiz nights etc. It was way more social than I thought.