We were sent out to clients to help the auditing team with their audit.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was very well organised, the work given was intersting and it gave a very good idea of what it would be like to work in the industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The staff where very welcoming, taking tie out of their busy schedules to help you whenever you felt lost.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was always help, whether it was in the office or at a clients and everyone was always happy to help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The internship takes place during the slow season, so there was not a lot of work to do, howver, it did mean that if you did need help then it was easier for someone to give it to you. Also the amount of work increase significantly when we went out on audits.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Being an intern not much responsibility was given, however, this is not necessarilly a bad thing.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The training did not help with my degree since I do not study accountancy or any related subject.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office atmosphere was very relaxed, as long as you did the work that you were asked to do, then no one cared if you chatted at the same time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The HR team who organised the internship where amazing, they organised for all the interns to spend te first week in a hotel in London, so that we could meet eachother and gain some kind of training before we where sent out to our individual regions. They also organised lots of different events, all of which were successfull, the HR team should really be given a medal for their work.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company gave us 3 days of training before we started the internship, however most of the learning happened on the jobs.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
At the end of the internship they interviewed everyone with the propspect of giving some interns a training contract after university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All the interns got on very well with eachother.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The Gatwick region didn't provide many places to go socialising, however the cost of living is much cheaper than in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Unfortunatelly Gatwick does not have much in the way of a nightlife and most of the staff commute in every morning from other surrounding places.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
there was a weekend football tournament organised in Bristol which was very good fun, and the hotels where subsidised by BDO!