1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I honestly couldn't have asked for a better placement. The role of UK Marketing intern at HBO provides you with the perfect balance of responsibility and support. The office is a fun environment with amazing people and you are always made to feel like an important member of the team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was made to feel highly valued on both a personal and professional level at HBO. Due to the office being fairly small it gives you a great opportunity to really get involved in projects and properly get to know everyone there.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Whenever you need support or help it's there for you. In my time at HBO my direct line manager left to move abroad. After only being in the job for 6 months, and with some time before a replacement would be hired, this was something I was fairly nervous about at the time. I really shouldn't have worried at all though, everyone in the office is more than happy to help with any problems or questions you might have.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload is brilliant, more than enough to keep you busy and not too much that it's unmanageable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel I was given the perfect amount of responsibility in my internship. Your responsibility within the organisation grows, with the time you've been there and your increased confidence in the tasks you undertake. Now coming to the end of my placement at HBO my responsibilities within the company have increased exponentially.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel I have learnt far more about marketing in my year at HBO than my two years currently spent at university. This isn't due to there being anything wrong with my university or course but purely down to the fact the a placement at HBO offers you so much invaluable practical experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is amazing! Everyone there is really friendly and always more than happy to help. It's also a great balance between being able to have and also get on with work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Brilliantly organised. Your workload is managed really well until the point were you are able to manage yourself. In this way as your confidence in the role grows you are given more trust to just get on and do things.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A large amount of valuable time was given to my personal development. This includes a weeks handover with the previous intern to get to grips with the role before you properly start.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
HBO is owned by Time Warner meaning we are highly linked with Warner Brothers. Warner do look well on those who have worked within the company before, however it really does depend on what is available when you finish university.
Working at HBO does however give you a great placement to add to your CV and is a brilliant company to gain experience with for anyone passionate on establishing a marketing career in the Home Entertainment sector.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
HBO usually has a Christmas party and there also a number of other opportunities to go out with colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked from home so for me it was really cheap. Living just outside of London I decided I would prefer to commute in rather than rent in London. However almost all interns from Warner Brothers have rented in London and although it's not the cheapest city in the world it is one of the best.
There is always stuff to do and with a large number of interns at Warner Brothers you won't be short of people to go out with.
The HBO offices are on Great Marlborough street, just off Oxford Street, so you really can't ask for a better location.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London is brilliant for a night out, however as it's so big it does really depend where you go. Obviously it is also a lot more expensive than most uni city/towns.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In my time at the company there have been a number of opportunities to get involved with activities outside work, and you are able to get involved with as much or as little as you want to.